Monday, October 31, 2011

The Family Meal: Recipe Corrections

The Family Meal's recipes includes portions for 2, 6, 20, and 75 people. Personally, I don't think I ever want to cook for 75 people, but it's totally a handy way to adjust your recipe depending on who you are  cooking for. The trouble is, the match for scaling here appears to have been done by chefs, and there are more than a few miscalculations along the way. In my recipe breakdowns, I try to point out any inconsistencies that I may find.

The other place where errors sometimes occur is in the steps for execution. It appears that there can sometimes be missing steps, where ingredients are not added, or sequencing could be improved. Personally, I think this is because the recipe was written by pros, so for them it was easy to skim over things that were obvious. It reminds me of when I was at MIT, and professors would say some complex math theorem was "intuitively obvious" -- except to me, it never was. I guess this is the price of learning from genius!

For recipe corrections on specific recipes, please see the The menu page page to see if I've covered this recipe before (it's a work in progress).

1 comment:

  1. Great idea. Have you tried the coconut flan? That's a recipe badly in need of some adjustment since it doesn't work as it is currently written.

    ReplyDelete