Sunday, February 9, 2014

Blackberry Cookies N Cream Gelato

The two flavors that propelled me to want to make my own gelato are Almond and Blackberry Oreo. Blackberry what? Back in college, there was a place that allowed you to choose your own flavors to be blended into frozen yogurt. My favorite combination (as recommended by Wendy) was blueberry and Oreo. You might say that sounds odd, but if you try it, I think you will like it.

INGREDIENTS

Gelato Base:
I used Gelato Base I except with only 1/4 cup of sugar since the cookies would add sweetness. 

Flavorings:
1.5 cups of blackberries, frozen or fresh
12 Oreo cookies, moderately crushed

PREPARATION
  1. Prepare the Gelato base 
  2. Blend the blackberries (defrosted, if you used frozen) using a food processor or blender. 
  3. Strain the blended blackberries, using a spoon to squeeze out as much juice as possible. Discard the seeds. You should have about 1.25 cups of blackberry puree
  4. Add the blackberry puree to the gelato base and chill until completely cool
  5. (I usually do this the next day) Churn the blackberry custard mixture, adding the crushed Oreos during the last 5 minutes. 


What you'll end up with is a strangely purple gelato with a smooth fruit flavor and a fun chocolate cookie finish. This is a nice twist on cookies n' cream and a total fan favorite. I will definitely be making this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment